The Amazon Associates program always gets a bum rap, since the affiliate commission is low and the cookie length is short. Why would any reasonable marketer want to waste their time with a site that pays out a maximum of 8.50% commission if you manage to sell more than 3,131 in a month?!
Well hold your horses, there! Working as an Amazon affiliate actually has a couple of different advantages that make it worthwhile to participate in despite these weaknesses. For example, everyone trusts Amazon and their renowned customer service policy, which means that your conversion rates will be much higher than shilling for some sketchy privately-held affiliate product. You’ll also find that people who buy from Amazon typically buy more than one product – skyrocketing your affiliate commissions without any extra effort on your part!
Read more: Make money online with Amazon
Of course, selling Amazon products and making money online isn’t as simple as just slapping product descriptions on a page. Check out the following steps to make money and succeeding with Amazon niche sites:
Step #1 – Pick the Right Products
Choosing the specific Amazon products that you’ll promote is absolutely, hands down the most important step to succeeding with Amazon niche sites. The following are the criteria I follow when choosing products.
- Price – Choosing Amazon products with a high enough purchase price is vital. If you build a website selling a bunch of $10 products, don’t be surprised when your affiliate check only totals a few dollars. Instead, look through high-value categories – like “Home & Garden”, “Tools” and “Appliances” – for products that sell for at least $150.
- Item Popularity – Buyers who arrive on Amazon through your affiliate links will be more likely to purchase items that have tons of reviews or that rank as best sellers in their respective categories, as the social proof indicates that these are good buys. For best results, look for products with at least 20-30 reviews already in the system.
- Review Scores – Obviously, selling a product with an average review of two out of five stars is going to be more difficult than selling one with a perfect review score. When selecting the products you’ll promote, look for at least an average of four of five stars (although five of five is better!).
To build a successful Amazon review site, find five related products, all of which meet the above criteria. If you’re only able to find one or two products in your chosen sub-category, try a different one. There are enough good options to choose from that you don’t need to waste time promoting products that won’t be successful!
Step #2 – Set up a WordPress Review Site
If you’re new to building websites, know that installing the self-hosted blog platform WordPress is the best options to get your site up quickly and have it rank well in the search engines.
As you build your site, keep the following considerations in mind:
- Choose a good theme. Although there’s no single theme that’s best for every Amazon affiliate site, you will want to invest time in choosing a different theme than the default option. Search WordPress.org for clean, modern looking themes that put the emphasis on your product images and reviews.
- Add the right WordPress plugins. Plugins give your blog the ability to more than its default installation allows for, so be sure to add the All in One SEO Pack and Google XML Sitemap Generator plugins to boost your site’s SEO potential. Also be sure to activate the Akismet plugin that’s installed in your WordPress dashboard by default.
- Adjust your settings. To improve your site’s SEO, be sure to add your keyword-rich title in the General Settings tab, make sure that your site is set up to run as a “www” site and set up category navigation menus to improve the user experience.
Once your site is up and running, it’s time to add content and make money online!
Step #3 – Add Content to Your Site
Although selecting the right products is the most important step of the Amazon niche site building process, adding your content and getting it ranked comes in a pretty close second!
When it comes to content, you can write your own content or outsource it to another writer, depending on your writing skills and your budget. But whichever option you choose, the most important thing is that you structure your review correctly. Use the reviews already posted to Amazon to identify the best selling points for each product and then flesh your content out with the pros and cons of each product you’re reviewing.
Finally, add a conclusion to your review – essentially, this is a summary of the selling points you described earlier in your review, along with your recommendation on whether the reader should buy or not.
Step #4 – Get Your Sites Ranked
We’ve already completed some pretty powerful SEO earlier in the process, but in order to get our content ranked, we’re going to need something else – backlinks!
Here’s how to get them:
- Write five articles for each product you’re reviewing
- Submit your articles to other quality sites in your niche as a guest author
- Create a press release and submit it to the top PR sites
To get the best results, be sure to link to your product review pages – not your homepage – using your keyword phrases as anchor text. Add links to two separate reviews in each article or press release you submit in order to get the maximum backlinking benefit.
Step #5 – Scale Up Your Site
There’s a reason I start with smaller sites – if a niche winds up not converting well, I can dump the project with only a minimal amount of time lost. But if you do wind up with an Amazon review site that performs well, you’ll want to scale that sucker up!
Scaling up can take a number of different forms, depending in large part on the industry you’re in and what people want from an authority site in your niche. However, different scaling up options could include adding more products, adding more features for readers (including things like reviews, forums, etc) or even expanding to different product lines.
If this all sounds simple, that’s because it is! Follow the process described above and repeat it over and over. In time, you’ll have a whole stable of Amazon affiliate sites earning you a nice passive income each month.